Update on Christen’s Surgery

Update on Christen’s Surgery.

For those of you who aren’t on Facebook, you can follow this link to the CaringBridge site to read 
more details about Christen’s surgery and recovery. We are thankful to report that Christen’s total thyroidectomy and central neck dissection surgery went very well. The surgery lasted 2.5hrs on Wednesday the 24th. Our surgeon says he believes all of the tumors were contained within her thyroid, making it unlikely that any of the cancerous cells have spread. Her blood work Thursday morning showed that her parathyroid glands were working well and that she was safe to go home. Christen and I (Tony) returned home on Thursday evening and have been recuperating here since.

Sam and Ada, who have been spending the week at “Camp NanaPapaw” in Indiana, will be brought up here tomorrow (Sunday) and we can’t wait to see them! We expect to hear on Tuesday or Wednesday from the surgeon who will brief us on the final pathology report that will detail the extent of malignant growth (cancer) in both her thyroid gland and lymph nodes. 5-6 weeks later, Christen’s calcitonin and CEA levels will be tested and this will help us to better know how much of the medullary cancer remains in her body. Christen has already begun her thyroid hormone replacement medication which she will continue to take every day for the foreseeable future.

All in all, she is recovering well and in good spirits! Thank you for all of your prayers, emails, and support!

What next?

We will stay in West Michigan and give Christen as much time and space to recuperate 


as she needs. Once Christen is feeling betterand able to care for the kids again, we will schedule my (Tony’s) foot surgery which will take place in IN. Post-surgery, I will be on crutches or a knee scooter for six weeks, making it a more challenging time for Christen! This may or may not necessitate pushing back our return date to Central Asia. Also, I need to determine along with a doctor if surgery is necessary for the kidney stone that I have had and not been able to pass for the past three months. Please be in prayer with us about all of these details!

We want to see you while we are back in the US, please let us know when you are available!